The horse and buggy was the main mode of transportation in 1913. However, roads (where there were roads) were mule-belly deep in winter mud and axle deep in summer dust. And with Henry Ford's Model T revolutionizing the transportation industry, something had to be done. It was in this setting that Clarence L. Boyd opened his shop in 1913, offering a line of horse-drawn graders, tumble-bug scrapers and horse hitches to the pioneer road builders.
Having survived some very tough years during the great depression and World War II, Clarence L. Boyd Company purchased Lewis Brothers in 1941. Lewis Brothers was a Tulsa based firm that owned the International Harvester franchise for the eastern half of Oklahoma. Boyd went on to represent International Harvester in Oklahoma for 43 years.
Robert Crews became President in 1983 and led the company thru a period of significant change. The Clarence L. Boyd Company was awarded the John Deere Industrial Equipment franchise for 30 Oklahoma counties in 1984. During the same year, the company moved its corporate headquarters to Oklahoma City and founded Undercarriage Specialists, Inc. (USI). USI is a wholly-owned subsidiary that specializes in wholesale aftermarket parts for construction equipment. Diversification and expansion continued in 1989, when Boyd opened a full-service branch location in Lawton, OK.
Today, CL Boyd is the John Deere Construction and Forestry equipment dealer for 30 counties in Oklahoma. Diversification and expansion continues today, as CL Boyd recently added a new branch location in Ardmore, OK. Additionally, CL Boyd is the authorized Dynapac compaction equipment, JLG telehandler and Harlo forklift dealer for Oklahoma.
Hiring the best people, adapting to changing market conditions and developing new business opportunities has long been CL Boyd's formula for success. Boyd remains committed to these principles as we work to build an even more successful business for the next generation of employees and customers.